For hot flash symptom relief, there are some lifestyle steps you can try to help keep things cool. Some women have found some degree of relief by trying one or more of these home remedies for hot flashes:1-3
- Avoid hot and spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine. While these may not actually be foods that cause hot flashes, they can make menopause symptoms worse.
- Relax with meditation exercises like yoga, or a massage, to relieve stress.
- Maintain a cool environment.
- Keep a small fan close at hand.
- Dress in layers during the day, and wear loose, light cotton pajamas.
- Keep a glass of ice water next to your bed at night.
- Use layered bedding, in case you need to adjust during the night.
- Store an extra pillowcase or towel next to your bed to handle night sweats.
- Keep a frozen cold pack under your pillow, and turn your pillow often so that your head can rest on a cool surface.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, including eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, avoiding smoking, and reducing stress.
- The North American Menopause Society. The Menopause Guidebook, Seventh Edition. 2012. pp. 10-12, 49.
- The National Women's Health Information Center. Understanding menopause. Available at: http://womenshealth.gov/menopause. Accessed August 25, 2009.
- The Mayo Clinic website. Menopause: lifestyle and home remedies. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menopause/DS00119/DSECTION=lifestyle%2Dand%2Dhome%2Dremedies. Accessed August 25, 2009.